Did Biden make a Major Misstep on Gaza crisis?
In a de facto sense, US President Joe Biden has given the ‘green light’ to the caretaker Prime Minister Netanyahu of Israel to continue the military obliteration of the Israeli-occupied Gaza Strip.
* Shortly after Joe Biden gave the tactless green light, disaster happened.
IDF air and ground troops are currently attacking in the Gaza Strip.
— Israel Defense Forces (@IDF) May 13, 2021
Troops, tanks, heavy artillery, bombers and gunboats, much of the weaponry sold to Israel by America, surround the Gaza strip on the border and are blowing residential properties to smithereens sending families running in all directions, fleeing their homes.
Health workers report 500 casualties (injuries) in the past six hours.
- Over 75 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza including more than seventeen small children in their homes and fifteen mothers according to the Palestinian authority and health workers.
- The Israeli side reports a body count at the time of writing of 6 deaths among the Israelis and one visiting foreign national for a total of seven dead from Hamas’ crude rocket fire.
- A wave of violence has reached a boiling point across the population of Israel with Israelis attacking Arabs in the streets with makeshift weapons, beating Arabs past the point of unconsciousness.
A Palestinian father is crying and does not believe that he lost his four children as a result of the bombing of his home by the occupation forces💔
Where is the conscience of these world??#GazaUnderAttack#IsraeliTerrorism#Terrorists pic.twitter.com/1JQFRp4P8D
— مصراوية (@Masrawia25) May 14, 2021
Experts describe rockets used by Hamas as “pyrotechnics” easily stopped midair by air defence (dome of iron) weapons, compared to the Israeli military might bombing & shelling Gaza.
Joe Biden has decades of experience blindly backing ‘Bibi‘ Netanyahu, but everything has changed.
Information flows more freely today and the truth about the last fifteen years of horrible abuse the Palestinians have endured is more widely known thanks to the notoriety of Palestinian children who have challenged their oppressors.
Professor Maha Nassar, Associate Professor in the School of Middle Eastern and North African Studies at the University of Arizona writes in “Protests by Palestinian citizens in Israel signal growing sense of a common struggle that ,”The current protests suggest that Israeli government attempts to isolate Palestinian citizens of Israel from Palestinians in the occupied territories and in exile and to integrate them into the Israeli state have failed. And any heavy-handed reaction to demonstrators could only serve to further alienate Palestinian citizens from the state of Israel.”
Professor Nassar suggests that, “Scenes of police violently breaking up peaceful protests, Israeli security forces being deployed into Palestinian neighborhoods inside the country, and armed Israeli Jewish vigilantes attacking Palestinians in mixed cities could also, I believe, further reinforce the image of Israel as a colonial power in the minds of not only its marginalized Palestinian minority, but also their international supporters as well.”
Dr. Nassar is the author of “Brothers Apart: Palestinian Citizens of Israel and the Arab World“.
Writing in “Why East Jerusalem has become a flashpoint in a decades-old conflict” Tristan Dunning, of The University of Queensland and Martin Kear, of the University of Sydney set out that “Ostensibly, the rocket launches by Hamas were a response to Israeli police storming the al-Aqsa mosque compound in East Jerusalem on Laylat al-Qadr, the Night of Power, one of the holiest nights of the year for Muslims.
“The incident [at the al-Aqsa mosque] injured hundreds over the weekend.”
Dunning and Kear continue saying, “Hamas then issued an ultimatum demanding Israeli forces withdraw from the compound — the third holiest site in Islam, part of which comprises the Wailing Wall — by a specific deadline. When Israel refused, Hamas’s military wing followed through on its threat by firing rockets toward Jerusalem, forcing Israeli lawmakers to flee parliament.”
Israeli Defence Forces say that hundreds of Hamas rockets fall back into Gaza.
WATCH as a Hamas rocket aimed at Israel misfires and falls back into Gaza.
But this isn’t the 1st time—Hamas misfired 350 rockets in the last 3 days.
These rockets result in the deaths of innocent Gazan civilians.
It’s time for the world to hold Hamas accountable. pic.twitter.com/vmhmXTZrl6
— Israel Defense Forces (@IDF) May 13, 2021
- “At approximately 12:00 on Wednesday, 12 May 2021, Israeli warplanes fired a missile at residential apartment no. (1) in building (25) in Sheikh Zayid Housing Project in eastern Beit Lahia. As a result, the apartment sustained partial damage, but no casualties were reported.
- “Around the same time, Israeli artillery fired 10 shells at border areas in eastern and northern Beit Hanoun and in northern and northwestern Beit Lahia, causing a dense white smoke. As a result, the residents of the areas adjacent to the border fence were forced to leave; no casualties were reported.
- “Around the same time, an Israeli drone fired 5 missiles at Mahmoud Nimer Abu Mahmoud Jaser’s (71) 3-storey house near al-Basheer Mosque in Tal al-Za’tar neighborhood in Jabalia. As a result, the eastern side of the house and its roof “sustained damage, but no casualties were reported.
- At approximately 12:05, an Israeli artillery fired a shell at Hatem Wahdan’s house in al-Amal neighborhood in Beit Hanoun. As a result, the house’s eastern wall sustained material damage, but no casualties were reported.
- “At approximately 12:42, Israeli warplanes fired 2 missiles at Ibrahim Majed ‘Adel al-Fasees’s (28) barber shop (40 sqms) located in Tal al-Za’tar neighborhood in Jabalia, causing damage to the shop. Also, 4 civilians, including 2 children, sustained moderate and minor injuries.
- “At approximately 14:35, an Israeli drone fired 2 missiles at Ahmed Fayiq Abu Sitah’s house, causing damage to the roof of the house, which is located on al-Manshiyia Street in Beit Lahia. No casualties were reported.
- “At approximately 19:30, the dead body of Mohammed Ahmed ‘Abed Abu ‘Ashma (35) arrived at Beit Hanoun Hospital in central Beit Hanoun, after losing track of him 2 days ago. He was found in a military site belonging to Palestinian armed groups. It should be noted that at approximately 07:30 on Monday, an Israeli drone fired a missile at the military site, and since then, no one entered the site fearing it would be targeted.
- “At approximately 20:00, Israeli warplanes fired a missile at Zaher Mousa Ahmed Hamdan’s (55) 1-storey house on al-Qerman Street in Beit Hanoun. As a result, the house roof sustained material damage, but no casualties were reported.
- “At approximately 23:37, Israeli warplanes launched a missile at an empty land in Bir Na’jah neighborhood, west of Jabalia, north of the Gaza Strip. As a result, two were wounded, including a child, and taken to the Indonesian Hospital, where medical sources said their injuries were moderate.
- “At approximately 00:00 on Thursday, 13 May 2021, Israeli warplanes launched 2 missiles at the Ministry of Interior’s internal security headquarter in al-Sheikh Zayid area. As a result, the headquarter was completely destroyed, while the Ministry of Education, Ministry of Social Affairs, Shari’a Court, al-Quds Open University, a vocational center and a secondary school for boys sustained damage and windows were broken. No casualties were reported.
- “At approximately 00:10, an Israeli drone targeted Jameel Abu Jarad’s 3-storey house located in the center of al-Zaitoun neighborhood in Beit Hanoun. As a result, the house’s roof sustained damage, but no casualties were reported.
- “At approximately 01:10, Israeli warplanes fired at least 20 missiles at a residential neighborhood on Beit Lahia Main Street, near Zayid intersection in Beit Lahia. As a result, 9 houses, including apartments for rent, education centers, Faten financial institution, a law firm, and commercial companies and shops were completely destroyed. These houses sheltered 15 families of 86 members, including 29 children and 28 women. Also, ‘Abed al-Raheem Mohammed ‘Abdullah al-Madhoun (62) and his wife Halima ‘Ali Mohammed al-Madhoun (65) were killed, 7 other civilians were missed, and 33 civilians, including 10 children and 8 women, were wounded due to the bombing. The injury of one of the wounded was classified serious while the other injuries were classified between moderate and minor.
- “Furthermore, the airstrikes completely destroyed the Main Street, water and sanitation pipelines, electricity and communication networks. Also, several houses sustained material damage; 6 houses and a residential tower located near the targeted area sustained severe damage while dozens of houses sustained partial damage.
- “According to PCHR’s field follow-up, ambulances and Civil Defense crews rushed to the scene and managed to rescue the wounded and retrieved persons alive from under the rubble. According to PCHR’s follow-up, the residential neighborhood was targeted suddenly and without a prior warning.
- “At approximately 10:30, Israeli artillery fired a shell at Kalash family’s house in northern Beit Lahia. As a result, the house caught fire, but no casualties were reported.
- “At approximately 11:10, Israeli warplanes fired a missile at Amjad Majdi al-Masri’s house, which is comprised of one floor and a roof built of tin plates, located on al-Masryeen Street, east of Beit Hanoun. As a result, the house was destroyed, but no casualties were reported.
- “At approximately 11:50, Israeli warplanes fired a missile at Eyad Nasr’s house located in Nazla area in Jabalia, north of the Gaza Strip. As a result, the house sustained partial damage, but no casualties were reported.”
Blanket statements like these w/ little context or acknowledgement of what precipitated this cycle of violence – namely, the expulsions of Palestinians and attacks on Al Aqsa – dehumanize Palestinians & imply the US will look the other way at human rights violations. It’s wrong. https://t.co/afCgoGdiMG
— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) May 12, 2021