Idlib is becoming a 6,097 km² Cemetery. Please. A 7-day ceasefire for evacuations?
There is no escape for the orphans, the infirmed, the disabled and the aged
Nobody really knows the exact numbers of migrants who this Spring have fled from Idlib governorate in Syria since the bombing began.
Bombs have been slamming and killing two dozen hospitals, schools, farmland, water purification and distribution systems, and basic infrastructure needed by 2.5 million civilians to survive.
The bombs are also taking out the children and their families.
What you hear and read in the media are best-effort estimates. The number of people fleeing Idlib is more like everyone who can.
“Those who can leave” means people who have a place to go and some nest egg money somewhere with which they can restart. For most people who are indigenous to Idlib, their lives are attached to something they have built and the only things they have. Many cannot leave.
Background reading? Here.
Hearing word that Russia, Syria and, to a lesser extent, Iran, are bombing the hell out of Idlib Province in Syria, and indiscriminately killing many innocent civilians. The World is watching this butchery. What is the purpose, what will it get you? STOP!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 2, 2019
Day and night the bombs will fall, targeting mostly the terrorists among us. But they are indeed moved in among us. And there will be civilian casualties in Idlib that the enemies of Syrians and Bashar al-Assad will exploit.
Everyone who is neutral to this fight should leave Idlib.
We ask politely for a 7 day cease fire to allow people to leave Idlib.
- Clearly, not everyone is going to be polite. We know that and will set a better example.
- We agree that Idlib needs to be fixed and the interlopers must go away or go to prison. How can we help?
- Neither is true for ordinary children and their families in Idlib.
- Six countries are responsible in Syria for the continued warfare and civilian deaths.
- You must stop this now. You bomb here, send your missiles here and sell your godforsaken weapons here. HTS does not make their own armour, guns and missiles. Some of these six countries sold them this paraphernalia of war.
Today Russia, Iran, Turkey, America, Britain and Israel no longer have the color of right in any manner whatsoever.
- Britain and Israel…
must each stop their violence; stop selling your weapons here and go arrest Bashar al-Assad and his cronies both Syrian and Iranian and convene a tribunal.
Iran, go home or face the consequences.
End the violence now.
Claiming that what Russia is doing is no worse than what America and Britain did in ar-Raqqa the Russian side has issued a defiant statement in response to a UNSC condemnation of the Idlib bombing by Kuwait, Germany and Belgium.
Permanent Mission of the Russian Federation to the United Nations